Bluez IME with support to Wamo Pro (Android APK)



bluez ime icon

Update 18/08/2013: Added remap and profile function, just as in the other drivers.


In this post I will talk a little about the app Bluez IME and also about what I did to make it support Wamo Pro natively. Those who are having problems with the officials apps from SZ Wamo should read this post and try this custom app (it may not work too...).


After having some connectivity issues between my HTC Desire HD 4.0.4 (ViperDHD v2.2.0 ROM) and Wamo Pro Bluetooth controller, I decide to test alternative solutions. For my lucky, I found the source-code of the custom Bluez IME that supports IPEGA PG-9017 in joystick/gamepad mode (credits to DiegoBaeza). So, I got that source-code and added Wamo Pro driver to Bluez IME.

Unfortunally, I could only test this new Bluez IME in my HTC Desire HD, but I hope it helps anyone having problems to connect/play with Wamo Pro using official apps (although I didn't heard about anyone else).



How to connect Wamo Pro using Bluez IME

Before anything, you should download and install (Android only) the following apps:

If you have any previous Bluez IME already installed, you may need uninstall it before installing this new one to avoid conflicts.

Now, with the apps installed, do the following steps to connect Wamo Pro using Bluez IME:

Step 1: Open Bluez IME app.
Step 2: Click on "Activate Bluetooth" to turn it ON in case it is OFF (see image 1).

bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller
Image 1

Step 3: Turn ON the Wamo Pro device (case it is OFF).
Step 4: Hold down X + HOME buttons in your Wamo Pro. Lights will start blinking (see note 1).
Step 5: Click on "Select device" and choose WamoPro (see image 2 and 3). If it is not in the list, click on "Scan..." to search and select it.

bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller
Image 2 and 3

Step 6: Click on "Select device driver" and choose "Wamo Pro - X mode (HID)" (see image 4 and 5).

bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller
Image 4 and 5

Step 7: Click on "Select IME" (remember which one is currenctly selected) and choose "Bluez IME" (see image 6 and 7). If it is not in the list, click on "Configure input methods", enable "Bluez IME" (see image 8), go back and select it now.

bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller bluez ime support wamo pro bluetooth controller
Image 6, 7 and 8

After those steps the Bluez IME app will try to connect to Wamo Pro automatically. If success, a message saying "Connected to ..." will pop up, where "..." is the MAC address of your Wamo Pro. After that, you now are able to map buttons in your emulators and games (buttons should response as shown in the table on the next section).

In case you still have doubts on how to use Bluez IME, the video below showing the same steps described above.

After finish using Bluez IME, don't forget to turn it OFF and reselect your original IME (that one I told you to remember) in "Settings"->"Language & keyboard" menu.



Where can I buy this Wamo Pro?

The Wamo Pro Bluetooth controller is for sale at Dealextreme for about $30.



Technical Details

The Wamo Pro driver added to Bluez IME should only works with GAMEPAD mode (button X) and recognizes all buttons and pads according to Android API, which should output the following keycodes:

Button Constant Keycode
A KEYCODE_BUTTON_A 96
B KEYCODE_BUTTON_B 97
X KEYCODE_BUTTON_X 99
Y KEYCODE_BUTTON_Y 100
Select KEYCODE_BUTTON_SELECT 109
Start KEYCODE_BUTTON_START 108
L3 KEYCODE_BUTTON_THUMBL 106
R3 KEYCODE_BUTTON_THUMBR 107
LB KEYCODE_BUTTON_L1 102
LT KEYCODE_BUTTON_L2 104
RB KEYCODE_BUTTON_R1 103
RT KEYCODE_BUTTON_R2 105
Dpad: Down KEYCODE_DPAD_DOWN 20
Dpad: Left KEYCODE_DPAD_LEFT 21
Dpad: Right KEYCODE_DPAD_RIGHT 22
Dpad: Up KEYCODE_DPAD_UP 19
Left Analog: Left KEYCODE_A 29
Left Analog: Down KEYCODE_S 47
Left Analog: Right KEYCODE_D 32
Left Analog: Up KEYCODE_W 51
Right Analog: Left KEYCODE_4 11
Right Analog: Down KEYCODE_5 12
Right Analog: Right KEYCODE_6 13
Right Analog: Up KEYCODE_8 15

Note that, although analogs are show as digital output, Bluez IME also sends analogs signals too, so if one emulator/game is capable of interface with Bluez IME (like N64oid), then analog sticks will work as they should (non-digital). I don't know other apps that support Bluez IME interface, but I heard that GameKeyboard app also support analogs from Bluez IME.

Optionally, you can use the option "Configure key mapping" to map the buttons in a way different than the default (table above). This may be useful if a game (or emulator) doesn't support (or partially) Wamo Pro keycodes, but it supports keyboards or another gamepads (you can save custom mapping as profiles).

The APK was build with the following properties:

  • versionCode: 18.
  • versionName: 1.17.
  • debuggable: true.
  • testOnly: false.


Note 1: Make sure to hold X button first or else Wamo Pro may start without any mode selected (lights will blink slower).

24 comments:

  1. I see you have shown how to configure it with an android. What about ios?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we don't have an iOS device to test. Maybe you can use the app Blutrol (Cydia) as a user commented in IPEGA PG-9017's post here.

      Delete
  2. Ayuda donde dice select divice driver no me parece la opción de wamo que hago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should install the APK posted in this post instead of installing Bluez IME from Google Play. Their links are:

      https://android-bluez-ime.googlecode.com/files/BluezIME-HIDEnabler.apk
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2207466&d=1377227922

      Delete
  3. I paired Wamo gampad and phone manualy. Than I installed driver and app. I set up driver and keyboard. I tried everything and all I'm getting is error message (Connecting to: following by Error: Unknown error: 0) I have Galaxy S2 Android 2.3.6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try to unpair Wamo Pro in Android's Bluetooth settings, open Bluez IME and try to connect. Sometimes I got an error message in Bluez IME when Wamo Pro is already paired in Android's Bluetooth settings (I tried manually without Bluez IME).
    Don't forget to choose a mode (we recommend gamepad/joystick mode) when trying to connect in Bluez IME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No difference... first I unpaired WamoPro in BT settings and deleted BluezIME. I restarted the phone and reset WamoPro. All clear, I guess.

      I installed BluezIME-HIDEnabler.apk and BluezIME-wamo-pro.apk. Than I turned on BT. I pressed Home button on WamoPro to turn it ON - first three LED lights were blinking slowly. I pressed Home again – all LED lights went OFF so I pressed X+Home and first three LED lights started blinking fast (I think that means that gamepad is in pairing mode). I ran BluezIME and selected SCAN in Select device. After a few second of scanning it showed WamoPro – I selected it. Then I selected WamoPro – X mode (HID) in Select device driver menu. I went into Settings -> Lang. and Key. and enabled BluezIME. Then I returned to BluezIME settings and selected BluezIME as an input method. NOW the problem is that first three LED lights are still fast blinking!!! The gamepad is somehow still unpaired and the message “Connecting to: following by Error: Unknown error: 0” starts showing up. Also if I check BT setting of the phone, there is no WamoPro in the list.

      If I can understand the BluezIME is not able to estabilish the real connection with WamoPro. Also my WamoPro is a little bit strange – I don’t have ON/OFF switch near the LED lights, but I must turn it on via Home button and also APP mode is “somehow” not working (if I press Home+Y, nothing happens). I’m thinking that my WamoPro has a defect – it is possible to somehow reload firmware on the gamepad?

      Here u can see the picture… http://i40.tinypic.com/2jfwpit.jpg

      Thank you for all the help!

      Delete
    2. SZ Wamo send me a software and a firmware file, but since your device is a little different I think it won't work for you.
      You could try G910 software from geekbuying.com to see if connection works.

      Delete
  5. I tried to upgrade firmware but i don't know what/where handle 3 is?

    1 first shut down antivirus software
    2 in the computer to install the upgrade tool
    The start+select key while pressing handle 3, inserted the dataline.
    4 open the upgrade tool, select the upgrade file 20131113_RA2.psp, click the update.
    5 if the upgrade card in 1% do not move, there are 2 reasons
    A computer is a 64 bit or 86 bit, the need to manually install the driver, the driver installation folder in the /driver/install_64.exeupgrade tool
    B 360 software isolation the upgrade file

    ReplyDelete
  6. Analog sticks doesn't work as native sticks for me. Sad(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to connect it to my PC but i can't... when I go to bluetooth devices, my PC asks for a password when pairing to wamo and I don't know what to put there. (windows 8 - 64)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you tried to right-click on WamoPro in Bluetooth devices (search), click on "Properties", click on "Services" tab and then enable "Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc (HID)" option?
      That worked for me in Windows 7 x64.

      Delete
  8. It just keeps on giving me this message no matter what I do :(
    "Error: Protocol not supported"
    Please please help me guyz, I've had the ipega one month ago and I still can't get it to work.
    I have sony Xperia P running on 4.1.2
    Please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the only tip that I can give you is to unpair WamoPro/IPEGA in Android Bluetooth settings if there is any then try to connect with Bluez IME.

      Delete
  9. Hi!
    Old topic but I buyed a Wamo controller on DX, but I can't connect it to my phone or tablet. When I try on my phone (Wiko Cink Five, french brand, Android 4.1.2), it just won't connect and break the bluetooth, I need to reboot my device to make bluetooth work normally again. I tried everything, I have the controller without the ON/OFF switch.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeahh, this is really great, I wish you wrote more here because this was fantastic and brilliant, I'*look up on this site for some more articles, Jual Jersey Bola

    ReplyDelete
  12. It appeared the following message: "BT socket connect failed error" ....
    Do you know the problem? Galaxy S4
    tKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem on mbox Hi718A

      Delete
  13. Boa noite eu já tentei varios aplicativos para ligar o meu controle wamo pro 2 mas nao consigo ligar ele o estranho que no MOTO G ou X no galaxy win duos ele pega de primeira mas no meu MOTOROLA RAZR D3 não pega com nada e eu já coloquei em MOTOROLA RAZR D1 e tambem nao funciona sera algo com a linha RAZR e o seu Bluetooth
    ME AJUDA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOS RAZER D1 E D3 NÃO VAI BROTHER :(

      Delete
    2. O controle Wamo não funciona com chipsets MédiaTek , que é o processador que usa o Razr D1 e o D3.
      lembranças de Chile.

      Delete
  14. once it's bricked it doesnt work, the anologue sticks didnt work for me so i tried to update the firmware. 76% read Failure !! it got stuck at. ive not been able to get any leds on, or any response from the pad since. ive tried 3 didferent firmware versions. even the chinese versions. the flash fails every time. tried diferent drivers on diferent pc's/os. nothing has worked wish i didnt buy it

    ReplyDelete